Sunday, August 21, 2011

What I did over my summer vacation....the low-down.



Hey y'all,

Trying to update on our wild ride of a summer.  Sean's off handing out backpacks and school supplies at the church for Community Day, the kids are slippin' and sliddin' after a night of vomiting...and I'm running on about 4 hours sleep, sounds like perfect timing to blog to me.  Hey, I could be driving...operating a blog doesn't necessarily fall into the "operating heavy machinery" category, does it?

So, to catch you up.  Sean's company made some changes and let him go in June.  Yeah, that was fun.  But two days after that he got an internship at our church (Real Life) with the Immersion team, helping to train up pastors who visit the church every month.  He also started putting together a coaching program for those pastors, so they can continue to stay in touch with us after they head back home and try to implement some of the stuff they learned while visiting us.

It was a wild few months.  A few down moments, not sure where gas and food and bill money was going to come from, but somehow we made it.  And that's the most important part of this summer.  We decided that we were going to trust God to provide (for our home, our children, ourselves) and He did.  Both Sean and I slept like babies.  We never fought about money or what we didn't have.  The hardest day for the kids was the day we gave up cable.

So, June and July chugged along.  Sean would dutifully report to his part-time job interning at the church, and I continued in my role of supporting him at home.  We have great friends and family who came along side us, helped us from time to time and encouraged us to keep our chins up.

On the morning of July 27, Robin showed up in our bedroom at 7:45 am.  I was in that dozed state, listening to where Sean was in the coffee making process....I don't get up until I hear that hot liquid hit the edge of a mug.  Anyway, Robin climbs in bed with me and tells me, he's never going to get married.  I groggily look over at him and ask why.  He says, because "Jesus never got married and I want to do everything just like Jesus did."  Sean popped back in the bedroom at that moment with two steaming mugs of "wake up Heidi" and we started an hour long conversation with Robin where at the end, he said, "I want Jesus to be my boss forever."  And I cried tears of joy.

On July 28, Sean and I got to celebrate ten years of crazy and wonderful moments together.      

July 30, we got big news.  Sean was going to be interviewing for a full-time pastoral job at the church.  Basically doing what he had started doing as an intern, but they saw a need for him on a full-time basis and he started the long process of interviewing, praying and making sure it was the right fit.

At the same time, I got an e-mail about a part-time job opening at the church in the Communications Dept.  I sent in my resume on a Friday, by the following Thursday afternoon I had interviewed and was informed I got the job.

Sean found out the following day, he was going to be a pastor.

We were both given start dates, his was August 8, mine August 9.

That lead us to, what do we with the kids?  Sean had been working at home for the past three years, I had worked minimally since Robin was born, and a little after Katie was born, but nothing like I was going to be doing.  Homeschooling had been going well, and I was in the process of figuring out my plan for this next year.  So, again, I just asked God to help us figure this whole thing out.  And again, He did.

We have always been interested in a small prep school that's located on the church campus.  We have several friends who's children attend, and we've been to the school's talent show and graduations, and I just love the environment of the little school.  So, this fall the kids will both be attending.  Katie gets to start up in Kindergarten and Robin will be in the second grade.  Somehow, we can afford it, somehow the schedules all work out, somehow we've been given wonderful gifts we never even knew we wanted.

So, in the time span of about a week and a half, we went from being home together, to being at church together, and we couldn't be more excited.

We're still trying to even begin to understand how this has all worked out, and dude, I'm married to a pastor now!  We just can't believe how this entire thing was orchestrated, how we let God run the whole thing, and how He surprised around every turn.  He's a good Father, who has our best interest at heart.

In short, we've had the best summer ever!

I never thought I'd be so grateful for losing a job.

H :)

2 comments:

  1. Praise God Heidi! Brings tears to my eyes because I so see the blessing of it all and am overjoyed for your family. Can't wait to see what else He has in store for you all:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each one has a long list of features that you can't get anywhere else, but then they all cost money. Some sites only list pricing for the most basic models, and those aren't always going to be the most expensive options. If you want to get more interesting details about baseball pitching screens, visit this site right here.

    ReplyDelete