Wednesday, September 22, 2010

So, I've got a story for you...

I flew to California today, finally getting time with my family, finally able to hug my grandma after losing my grandpa.  It's so surreal to be here, everything reminds of him, it's wonderful to be in their house but I keep expecting him to walk down the hall.  

My grandpa's name was David.  He was a very kind, well-educated man, who loved people and could start a conversation with anyone.  In fact, if we ever were held up waiting for him, it's because he'd found someone with a similar interest (in just about anything) and he was busy just enjoying this new friend's company.

I flew out with Katie today on her 4th birthday.  She wore new sparkly, light up shoes and a crown that said, "Birthday Princess."  She was a pretty popular attraction strolling through three different airports with her princess backpack.  As we were about to board the flight from Portland to Sacramento, I walked over to the family boarding area and waited in line.  There was a kind older gentleman, dressed in a suit and tie, reading the newspaper.  He noticed us waiting, set down his paper, leaned over to Katie and said, "My goodness you are a pretty little girl in your pink crown and sparkly shoes."  He started up a lovely conversation with my little girl.  He asked if she liked to play soccer, asked all about her favorite princesses, and asked about her big brother.  Katie volunteered that we were traveling to see grandma, because grandpa had passed away.  The gentleman said, "you know, I'm sorry he's gone, but I bet he's in heaven and looking down on you and I bet he's very proud of you in your little crown today."  He wanted to know all about her birthday and what kind of cake she wanted.  Throughout the conversation he would look up at me and smile, just to make sure it was okay to keep talking to her.  It was obvious he was enjoying her company.  

Soon, they called for us to board the plane.  The gentleman said, "I hope you have a nice visit with your family and a wonderful birthday."  As we started to walk away he looked at her one more time and said, "You know what?  We never introduced ourselves....what's your name?"  My daughter looked at him and said, "My name's Katie."  He reached out to shake her hand and said, "Katie, it was nice talking to you, I'm David."  

Must be something in that name....  miss you grandpa.....

H :)

3 comments:

  1. Very sweet story, Heidi. Thanks for sharing! Praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is so good. What a wonderful story. It brought tears to my eyes. I too thank you for sharing it. (((Praying))

    ReplyDelete
  3. How special. I'm glad you finally blogged because I knew something sad had happened, but didn't know what. Clayton spent yesterday evening at your house. :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete