Monday, September 27, 2010

Yep, time with grandma...

Grandpa passed away last week....my mom, sisters and brother-in-law flew back home yesterday, and Katie and I are spending this next week with my 89 year old grandmother, so I thought I'd document some of my time with her.

Grandma is precious.  She can't hear very well at all, so I am amazed at the things I ask her, "Which way do I turn to get out to get out to Bruceville Rd?"  Her answer today, "Oh, no, those things just don't seem to happen anymore....I don't know why."  I eventually found Bruceville out of sheer luck....

She wanders around the house humming songs about chickens and fish....she tells stories about every place we drive past, and all the things in the town named after someone in the family....she likes her fiber and the crossword puzzle.  She loves gardenias, and to quack at the ducks in the park.

This was my day with Grandma Jane:
- up at 10:30
- shredded wheat breakfast and lots of giant vitamins at 11:00
- we called Social Security
- we "put our faces on"
- colored with Katie
- went to the dry cleaners
- took Katie to the park to feed the ducks, and so grandma could talk to them.....she doesn't like geese, so Katie spent time "shooing" them away yelling, "we don't like you, we didn't bring any food for you!" and grandma just laughed
- she leaned on the hood of the car watching Katie play on the slides and her pants stuck to the hood, she "left her mark" she said
- I thanked her for handing me a nectarine and she replied, "you are welcome as flowers in May....at least I think that's what they say..."
- we took two trips thru the Taco Bell drive thru....for extra lava sauce....grandma likes tacos....
- she attempted to discreetly toss her gum out the car window, she managed to fling it right into the side view mirror....that one should be fun to clean up later
- she took more pills and is now busy on her crossword, tonight is soup and we're planning dinner tomorrow night....I'm sure something with more fiber.....
- tonight I'm predicting a little Larry King Live and tylenol PM
- we'll mess with the thermostat because "grandpa used to run that"
- Katie and I will tuck her into bed tonight, just like we've done every night since we've been here....

Goodness I love her....she makes me laugh, and I'm sure the tears will be coming more and more....I am so happy to be here with her.  And I am sure more Grandma Jane-isms will be on the way.

H :)

No comments:

Post a Comment