Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Yep, time with grandma...part deux

So, today I woke up with my Katie girl sprawled sideways across the bed....face up, her feet dangling over the edge of the bed and her head resting comfortably on my rear end (I was snoozin' on my stomach)...and the alarm woke us up because we had a busy day ahead of us.  We were officially out of bed at 8am this morning!!!!  Grandma was so surprised!

Things I'm learning about my grandma....she's smarter than I am.  She can't work the computer very well, or her cell phone, or the cable box, or her car.....but dang if that girl can't work a garbage disposal!  I have learned that just about everything goes down the garbage disposal.....food-some of it we were still eating, garbage (like egg shells, and chicken fat goobers), and pretty much everything else....she said the only thing she doesn't put down the disposal is corn husks and rhubarb, otherwise everything else is fair game!!  I watched her shove giant chunks of watermelon rind down it last night, she said, "it dances around a bit in the sink but I eventually get it down there!" as I giggled uncontrollably watching watermelon bits spewed all over the kitchen.

So, here's today in a nutshell:
-early start - up at 8 am is an early start for grandma
-farmer's market (to get unprocessed fresh foods for my uncle)
-holding hands with Katie and grandma to get thru parking lots is precious...and I'm sure we're a picture!
-visit to the foot doctor for grandma...where she told me the crazy story of my mom's birth in the waiting room and then I read her and Katie "SkippyJon Jones" (and used my best Mexican Chihuaha accent) to entertain grandma while the podiatrist tortured her (who would ever want to do that job?!)
-another trip to the grocery store to get actual processed foods (like hot dogs for Katie....shhh....don't tell Uncle Scott!)
-somewhere in our running around in a town I am unfamiliar with, getting directions from a woman who can't hear and often forgets which direction we should go Katie found grandma's umbrella in the backseat and decided to open it as we drove 70 miles an hour down Hwy 99.....yeah, that didn't go over well...but we survived, and Katie won't be opening umbrellas anytime soon :)  I don't care how hard it's raining!
-grandma and I snuck Cheetos for lunch before my health conscious Uncle showed up....(again, shhhh!)
-grandpa was cremated today, and he is currently resting in his old bedroom he had as a kid on the family ranch....that was bittersweet
-My pop and I figured out what song we're playing at the funeral service (me on the uke, Pop on his concertina and my sister's singing)....also bittersweet...

Oh, and the best part of the whole day was when my Uncle and I spent 20 minutes trying to print something off the computer at a font we could read, because the original copy we'd printed was tiny.  We finally succeeded after multiple cut, copy, paste attempts and walked into the living room to find grandma sitting with the original (too small font) document and a gigantic magnifying glass....she was just finishing up reading the article.....again, she's just too smart for me and I love her to pieces!

H :)

No comments:

Post a Comment