Monday, October 11, 2010

Yep, kids are precious....

This one is for MP.....you know who you are! :)  Love you girl!

This past week has been busy, getting back into the swing of things after a two week absence.  Life doesn't tend to stop just because you're not around to live in it.  In fact, life kind of keeps on going....it's like you stepped off the bus but your scarf got caught in the door and the bus takes off and now you're running alongside the bus....trying not to get strangled.....  Okay, well I don't live some crazy dangerous life where I might get strangled....but there is a lot going on and sometimes it's hard to get off the bus.

My kiddos keep me grounded.  They are precious little balls of joy and energy and small disasters waiting to happen.  They also help me keep my priorities straight....I am running four different ministry groups at the moment and trying to jump back in and getting caught back up has been a challenge this past week.  I will be in the middle of a phone call, listening to a friend pour their heart out, consoling and counseling and my 6 year old slides across the kitchen in his socks, like he's Tom Cruise, singing C & C Music Factory's "Everybody Dance Now" at the top of his lungs and smacking his bottom like he's a galloping horse.....yeah, hard to stay on track in a conversation with that visual....

Yesterday was a great day with some dear friends of ours in the ministry.  Kids everywhere, toys everywhere, costumes galore (I get to clean up closet vomit today), good laughs, and some good planning for ministry despite the chaos!  Katie ended up doing the dreaded, "fall asleep too soon before bedtime so she's wide awake at 9pm" thing.....while I enjoyed her nice quiet nap, I wasn't too fond of her still bouncing all over the living room at midnight, convinced she was going to get sick so she could stay on the couch....yeah, she's precious.  Just when I think I've figured out a way to balance all of this....this life I love full of people and crisis and demands and family.....someone decides they need the "throw up bowl" just to keep things interesting. 

My kids are precious, have I said that yet?  They dance and sing and whine and make messes everywhere they go.....they are my first ministry.  So, while I'm trying not to get strangled by the runaway bus, my daughter is asking me, "who's taking care of Grandma Jane when we aren't there?"  I find comfort in her question, because I know I'm not there for my Grandma, and life goes on, and Grandma is being cared for....I am not the answer to everything- even if I want to be.  My desire is to be wonder woman, no problem I can't handle, no issue I can't solve, with awesome hair and groovy boots and an invisible plane in the shape of green minivan.....but it doesn't always work out that way.....so my kids are precious, they help me remember deep down I'm just a mom who's totally self-concious and really has doesn't have a clue, but whatever I do, I'll do it with flare (and a lot of help from Jesus!) and maybe no one will notice I don't know what I'm doing! :)

H :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Heidi... I hear you. I think I'm right there with you... with the scarf and the bus, the puke bowl, the minivan... but sadly not the groovy boots. (Maybe we should go shopping?)
    Anyhow, thanks for this post. It is so nice to be reminded that "I am not the answer to everything- even if I want to be" and that my children are "my first ministry". So, so true!
    Keep on bloggin' girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No one would think for a moment you don't know what you are doing! And realizing your kids are precious makes you a wonder woman in God's book!

    ReplyDelete