Saturday, October 16, 2010

Yep, fall is about football... :)

You know that scene from that baseball movie ,"The Natural," with Robert Redford; the one where he's up to bat and it's just a terrrible time in his career.  He's recovering from his surgery after being shot, his critics are saying he's done for, his last few games have been awful, and he hasn't had a hit in a while.  He gets up to the plate, a couple of strikes are thrown, he's discouraged....and then the girl stands up in the sunlight, his best friend from childhood, his greatest supporter, he hasn't seen her in years and the sun comes thru the crowd and shines right on her.  He senses something's different....spots her standing in the light, and hits a homerun!  The crowd goes wild, everyone's wondering who the mystery woman was, but she's disappeared, everyone's attributing his success to this one moment, and her contribution.....it's powerful, and the music is intense and it's a complete turn of events in the story.....yeah, that scene ran thru my head at one point this morning...

It's Saturday, so that means flag football.  Robin's been playing better lately, as in, actually playing...keeping his head in the game.  He's the center, so he snaps the ball and then he's supposed to block.  So there's a point in the game when he's been struggling to pay attention (go figure...) he's gets settled over the ball, the rest of the team is being physically put in place by the coaches, because they still aren't quite sure where to stand.  Robin's got his hands on the ball, looking thru his legs at one of his best friends (Tommy) who's playing QB.  The sun's shining, I decide to stand up and get close to the sidelines, thinking "this play is going to be great, and I don't want to miss it."  Tommy calls for the ball to be snapped....Robin tosses the ball perfectly to Tommy, I'm watching everything Robin's doing, hoping for him....he stands up.....and stands completely still.  Chaos is all around him, the play is run, kids are everywhere....flags are flying, the sun is shining on Robin's strawberry blonde hair, sticking out everywhere from his very active night of sleep.  I'm still standing, waiting for his moment....and Robin is frozen in the middle of the mess of kids....spacing off, fiddling with his mouthguard....the play ends, moment's over....and no "Natural" moment for me....oh, well....maybe next play...but that thought leaves again, when I realize he spends the next couple of plays dancing on the sidelines and waving at me....okay, maybe next season I'll get my moment, I won't loose hope....

Later in the game he's standing on the sidelines, and the coach (also known as "Dad") calls him back into the game, but he has to yell Robin's name about five times before Robin hears him and I know it's because he can't hear anyone over the superhero theme song running through his head.  My dad looks over at one of the kids on the sidelines....the kid is wearing a pair of black shorts over the top of a pair of crazy colored surf shorts, white socks pulled up to his knees, and his flags dangling all crooked....dad just goes, "you know, somewhere there's a rodeo clown missing his outfit..."

The game continues, Robin clues in every few minutes....chases down a few kids....and I know he's humming his theme song in the back of his head.  We win the game, mostly because Tommy is unstoppable, our secret weapon...but I think the kid playing center is pretty cute and he's got a good attitude....even if he doesn't totally understand what he's doing or even where he is...

Snacks after the game, which Robin shares with his little sister.  Settle into the minivan....but we have to wait for Katie to buckle her snacks in with the seatbelt next to her (safetly first you know, heaven forbid something should happen to the Cheezits), and we head home. 

Today, Katie's off for a girl day with my sister Sara.  I buckle Katie in Sara's car and ask, "She's got that bag of snacks, she might spill some in the car..."  Sara looks at me and just says, "Well, she's already peed in my purse....so....I think I'm okay...." (see prior blogs for that story!)  I send Katie off with an "anaconda squeeze" hug and head back into the house, for a day with my boys.  My husband and my son and of course football, on tv and we'll play our own pretend Superbowl in the yard.  Robin will be the star, most likely somehow Batman will be a part of the Indianapolis Colts and he'll have to battle the Green Goblin as part of the Ohio Buckeyes ('cause who else would Green Goblin play for?)....because fall is all about football.

H :)

No comments:

Post a Comment