Friday, May 6, 2011

Katie Lou Who-dini....



In my sleep deprived state this morning, I'm realizing it's been a few weeks since I've written an update about all the bugs crawling around in my salad.

This morning, one kid is sick....and slightly grumpy....I'll give you a hint as to who it is....his first name starts with an "R" and ends with "obin."

The other kid of mine is quite awake, despite her odd night of sleep.

The point of this blog isn't too discuss Robin's intestinal issues, or my lack of sleep, but rather Katie's ability to overcome any sleeping situation....here's the cockroach crawling around my greenery this morning.

Katie is a bit of a squirt for her age....she's always been in the lower percentiles....however, she can dominate and kick one or two adults out of a queen size bed without hesitation.  I know other parents out there know what I'm talking about.

It's pretty rare that she gets to sleep with us...it's usually the occassional bad dream or wind storm or illness, and of course she loves to crash with mom when dad travels for work.  She's pretty guilty of  kicks to the kidney, knees in the back, hogging of the pillow, and sleeping sideways so that we end up huddled onto a strip of the bed about a foot wide, just trying to keep some balance before teetering over the edge.

Katie has kicked Sean in the face while sleeping.

She has slapped me across the face in some dream stupor.

I've witnessed her stand straight up while sleeping and fall flat on her face.

One of my favorites was the time Sean was out of town and I woke up in the early morning feeling a little awkward....it was then that I realized that as I slept on my stomach, Katie crawled on top of me and fallen asleep on my back, face up, with her head resting on my rump and her feet draped over my shoulders....and sadly I slept through the whole thing.

But last night was another good one.  Robin asked to sleep on the couch and Katie asked to sleep on the floor next to my side of the bed.  I spent most of the night on "high alert" waiting for the puke sounds to start up, thinking it would be Robin having trouble in the night.  But no, somewhere around 5 am I heard a whimpering sound.  I sat straight up in bed and listened for a moment....and tried to crack my eyes open.  Then I heard the whimpering again, followed by a thud, then more whimpering.  Our dog sleeps under the bed so I assumed it was him and just laid back down.

Then I heard the little muffled, "moooooom"....."moooooooooom!"  I sat up again trying to figure out where the noise was coming from, peaked over the edge of our bed to see Katie....or what was left of Katie to see. All I could see was her heels poked out and kicking from under the bed...she looked like the scene in the Wizard of Oz when the witch gets squished by the house.

So, I hopped out of bed, grabbed her by the ankles and dragged her out from under the bed on her poor little face.  I think she cried....I doubt she woke up.....I hugged and kissed her and placed her in bed between Sean and I....where her feet proceeded to attack his kidneys.

Our little Katie Lou Who-dini is quite the little sleeper....I'm hoping tonight we have better nocturnal results.

H :)

No comments:

Post a Comment