Monday, March 28, 2011

Bye, Bye Baby...

There are people that write amazing blogs about decorating....like my friend Sharyl, she's at http://thelittlebrownhouse.us/, she has great stuff on buying and crafting and decorating things.....I am not her....in fact, I am so far removed from all of that super cool stuff, her blog is even decorated cooler than mine.  (Nice work by the way Sharyl.) =)

I love looking at people's houses.  I love the thought of living in a Pottery Barn catalog....but my brain just doesn't quite work that way.  I'm a girl of laziness and necessity; a girl of ease and least work, most benefit.  If Jane Austen were to describe me in Pride and Prejudice she would have called me, "a modest woman, of ordinary means, not following the fashion of the time, but rather a woman of convenience."

That being said, I attempted to be all Pottery Barn cool this weekend.....but, all I ended up with was sore calves.

We just sold our black satin baby grand piano.  It left our home on Thursday morning to go live on a nice farm with a large family....where it can run free.  And while the baby grand was too large for the space we tried to fit it into....when it was gone, the space left was pretty big....and then the wheels started spinning....how can I best make this space fit my life?  A few ideas crossed my mind.....installing a pop dispenser or a gumball machine...but in the end I decided to make it practical for homeschool....so we opted for the ever so exciting bookshelf.

Sean decided he wanted to paint and he wanted the whole wall to be red.  I said, "Sure."  I have no idea if it's still cool to have a red wall....or if that is more circa 2004....I figure if I'm somewhere within the style of the past ten years that's close enough for me.

So, my girlfriend and I set out to upgrade a few things.  I bought a can of red paint and a white board for the kitchen....too much change at one time can mess up my whole "convenience" thing...mostly because then I don't know where anything is.

We now have a red wall, a cleaned and organized bookshelf, the living room looks exactly the same even with my three different attempts to move it around.  I have sore calves (don't ask me why), a pile of things to be donated, a white board, bunnies of dust removed, a great time with a girlfriend, a kitchen disaster, no baby grand, paint stains on my hands, and garlic breath.

I think I earned a couple of Pottery Barn coolness points, but I'm still no Little Brown House....but for me, this is progress....and last I checked progress was a good thing.



Before.....


And after....


More work still to be done, guitar needs to be hung on the wall and the book shelf needs more bins (we kinda have a lot more movies than I thought we did...)....but my Pottery Barn effort is complete.

Looking at the pictures I kinda like the "before"....but it is what it is.... "Penelope" the piano is much happier now and the kids and I have more room to dance. :)

H :)

2 comments:

  1. Methinks you don't give yourself enough credit! And you will notice I no longer have small children to take care of either!!! Thanks so much for the shout out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need Rust-Oleum Chalk Board Paint in 12 tintable colors. It's from Home Depot and it converts walls or any paintable surface into a useable chalk board. The kids would love it! Wouldn't that be fun on your living room wall?

    ReplyDelete