Thursday, November 4, 2010

Sooo, following directions? Yeah, not so much...

I am realizing how terrible I am at following directions.  I direct a lot of people throughout the day.  My children, at times my husband, leaders I coach, counseling people....and I am terrible at following the most basic of instructions.  I have a smidge more sympathy for Eve in the garden now...

I tell my kids no candy in the morning, but those little Hershey bars are really awesome if you let them melt in your morning cup of coffee...

I ask the kids to keep their room picked up, meanwhile my own bedroom is the eclectic trash pile and apparently the place where old small group curriculum goes to die...

I love how I move the hairdryer cord out of the way so I can turn on the water and brush my teeth in the sink....while I'm drying my hair and dancing to my latest download....and staring at the sticker of the picture of the dude getting shocked for running the dryer near water and the instructions in spanish that loosely translated say, "don't do this, dummy."

I harp on the kids to get their seatbelt on before I even back the car out, meanwhile, I'm still trying to buckle mine as I'm already leaving the community, adjusting my coffee cup and checking my texts...

The kids need a good night sleep so they aren't cranky and whiny and a pain to wake up the next morning....while I've stayed up crazy late watching 3 weeks of 30 Rock and the Office in the DVR or reading Jane Austen....and I justify it by saying I'll have coffee and catch a 20 minute cat nap the next day...

And sadly, can you tell I've done all of these things in the last 24 hours?  Urgh!

Yeah, feeling a little convicted in the following directions, don't be a big-ol' hypocrite department.  I'll work on it....meanwhile, it's 10am and Katie's already talked me into a lollipop.....so fire me!  :)

H :)

2 comments:

  1. I think sometimes we direct others (especially our kids) to do those things because we really see how important it is to develop good habits and not have our problems. LOL! It is so hard to lead by example, when it is our weakness to do that one things. I've had to ask my kids a couple of times to be patient with mommy while we learn something together. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela, that just sounds too reasonable for me :)

    ReplyDelete